Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 28

My dad got a cold a couple days after Christmas. They started monitoring him very closely, and what started as a sore throat turned into a snotty nose and a cough. They cultured him and discovered he has what's called RSV, an EXTREMELY common virus, something that nearly the entire population has had by the time they're 2 or 3. Baby's immune systems seem to handle it well, but infant's...not so much...and my dad has the immune system of a 50 day old. But still, they kept on monitoring him closely, he had to wear a mask to the SCCA (which he doesn't know how to wear, so he hyperventilated last week and "his knees went weak" and he fell over...great excitement) and his cold just kept on going. Last week my MOM got the cold too, and earlier this week they banned her from the SCCA, so I've been put on "primary care giver" roll since then.

Yesterday (the day after his birthday) he developed a fever of 102.5. Here's the sign we'd been looking for that it's progressed. I was already at their apartment (took him in for clinic earlier in the day) and so I just zoomed him over to the UW where they broke his fever. He's now admitted for at least 10 days, probably closer to 14, for treatment for the RSV and by tomorrow hopefully we'll know if he's got pneumonia or some other bacterial infection as well. I'll be heading over there every day to keep an eye on him, keep him entertained, and keep the nurses on their toes. :)

All we can do now is wait, but we'll keep our fingers crossed too. On a positive note, my in-laws gave Dan and I iPhones for christmas (we got them today!) so I'll be able to futz around with that while he naps or is having procedures done.

No comments:

Post a Comment