Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 18

The first day of the new year. Almost immediately this morning the word I've been looking for started banging around in my head. "Respect". At first I didn't get it. Although I know the word was re-introduced into my fore-conscious recently, I didn't know why it was *here* NOW, on New Year's Day. And then it suddenly hit me. It was my "key word" for the new year, the thing that I can focus on to help me move forward.

I've had a big slump in self respect. I haven't been taking care of my body. I've had trouble respecting my house and my role as a wife. I've lost all respect for the job I despise. I think have great respect for the things that interest me, (mainly henna) but if I don't have respect for MYSELF, do I really have that respect? So the first and easiest thing to recognize is "respect your body." Do I need to eat that wheat-product? No, that's disrespectful to my guts that can't handle it. Should I exercise? Yes, that's healthy and respecting my body's needs. Start from there, and move out. Once I feel that I've got a handle on ME, I can start touching other external disrespects.

The henna I posted a few days ago of my hand, the small star with flowers around it and a circle enclosing that, has been very helpful. Today, however, I had Krysteen and Prashanthi come to my shop and Krys and I hennaed each other and Prash too. For me, I had Krys mirror that star, on the back of my other hand, but have it exploding out with henna-y goodness down my fingers and up my arm. I'll post photos in a couple days when it darkens. I did a sturdy oak tree on one of Prash's hands, and a Jay on the other. These were very specific and meaningful symbols for her, just as my trapped star and exploding star were for me. Here's her oak.



So here's to symbolism and learning in the new year. Here's to explosions of grace and goodness, and most of all Respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment